Duke of Edinburgh
Levels and timescales:
There are three Award levels:
- Bronze – for those aged 14+ years
- Silver – for those aged 15+ years
- Gold – for those aged 16+ years
Activities for each D of E section take a minimum of one hour a week over a set period of time, so they can be fitted in around academic study, hobbies and social lives. Development and regular progress must be shown and all activities must be completed by the participant’s 25th birthday.
At West Monmouth School pupils have the opportunity to take part in the bronze and silver levels which are shown below:
- Volunteering section: 3 months
- Physical section: 3 months
- Skills section: 3 months
- Expedition section: 2 days/1 night
- You also have to do 3 more months in one of the Volunteering, Physical or Skills sections.
If you are in Year 9 but are only 13 years old, you may be able to start a Bronze D of E programme if most of your friends are already 14 – check with your D of E Leader.
- Volunteering section: 6 months
- Physical and Skills sections: One section for 6 months and the other section for 3 months
- Expedition section: 3 days/2 nights
- If you didn’t do Bronze, you must undertake a further 6 months in either the Volunteering or the longer of the Physical or Skills sections.